Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Automatic Conceptual Indexing

Hi Bob,

You wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> There seem to be three kinds of concepts that could be indexed using
> Topic Maps:
>         (1) Discipline-specific concepts
>         (2) Industry-specific concepts
>         (3) general concepts that acquire a special function or
> purpose in the context of the text at hand.
>
> My questions:
> A. Does anyone know of software implementing topic maps that includes
> facilities for text analysis (parsing for noun phrase identification,
> for example) for automatic or semi-automatic conceptual indexing?
>
> C. Are there semantic network datasets that can be used for
> automatic/semi-automatic indexing of electronic texts?

Let me answer these two questions together.

empolis will release its Topic Map product "K42"
in version 1.0 mid of January 2001 covering TM editing,
navigation, storage, and querying. It also provides a
powerful API for easy integration in existing environments.

We will integrate K42 with another empolis product
called "orenge" (Open Retrieval ENginE, see
also http://www.tecinno.com for more information).
orenge is an intelligent search engine which includes
sophisticated indexing and which will solve your
question C right now and question A quite soon.

I would be happy to answer more detailed questions.

--Holger

--
H. Holger Rath <holger.rath@empolis.com>
empolis Content Management GmbH