Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Issue with instanceOf

For reasons stated in other mails posted to the editors I do not believe the
type of 'scope' to be either topic or association or topic map as these
constructs are understood in TMs.
Nor do I believe it can be effectively modeled using combinations of these.
A scope is a different animal and requires a unique construct in the
processing model (whether that is there in the existing text or not I do not
yet know as I haven't read that bit yet).

So...bearing that in mind
I'll state my question in a different way.
Should the contents of instanceOf _ever_ be unscoped (whether unconstrained
or not), strictly speaking?

To dig back down to the fundamentals of the original little diagram that
Steve N drew in Paris...
When it comes to nailing the zero-dimensional point to the board we use
subjectIdentity.
And, IMHO, that is the only property of a topic that should be nailed and
that therefore should not be scoped; everything else should be allowed to
be.

Pete N wrote:
(2) is unnecessary because having a single association with multiple
types (each in a different scope) is equivalent to having multiple
associations (each in a different scope) where each association has a
single type.

Except that for some reason I might want to ensure that I have the same set
of endpoints (members) on an association to which I subsequently add many
types. Or a many-typed association that I want to add a new member too under
all the types of association at once.
Amongst other things the scope mechanism is a powerful compression factor.

Peter