Subject: [xtm-wg] Re : leaving e-groups

Steve : "The real horror of e-groups is the necessity of extracting all of
the archives from them, one at a time. If Bernard is willing and able to do
that extraction, then he can demonstrate that he has already done it before
the move occurs. It is just too hard to do, and the archives are too
important, to leave the move to the promises and good intentions of an
unpaid volunteer. The completeness and convenience of those archives is an
essential feature of TopicMaps.Org ..."

Blast it ! That's exactly was I was afraid of  . It clearly means that
e-groups archives are to be considered as barely addressable resources.
Note that "barely addressable" is an interesting fuzzy notion for XTM 3.0,
mapping resources to "addressable values" in the [0,1] gap . Guess e-groups
addressable value is somewhere around 0.05 .

Given the very architecture of e-groups, I'm afraid no ordinary spider will
yield something usable, except maybe a full bunch of clinking ads links.
Anyway, I've forwarded the question to freelists.org staff, with the hope
they have already tackled the same kind of problem before. My hunch is they
may know the kind of hackers we need for that task.
But technical problem is not the only one. It came to me we'll maybe have
to get over some copyright or any other legal trick to forbid extraction of
archives to another host.

Maybe the  *******  one(s) who had the brilliant idea to use e-groups to
begin with will show up with a more brilliant one to get out of it,
otherwise they should carefully keep hidden in some hole ;-)

Bernard