Subject: [xtm-wg] egroups engulfed by Yahoo

Hello all

Something very serious has happened and maybe you did not notice :
egroups is definitely dead, completely engulfed by Yahoo machine, with no
previous notice.
Paul has sent a message about it, and it's worse than he has figured :

All the details I could get about this operation which happened somehow
yesterday :

Former Home Page of egroups http://www.egroups.com is dead : the URL
where you get a wonderful yahooprose explaning that yahoogroups will
provide all the best of egroups and much more, of course !

The Home Page of yahoogroups is now :
The directory you find on this page is no more the former egroups
directory, which was a "copy paste" of Open Directory structure, a big
anomaly in Yahoo Empire, since Open Directory is competitor # 1 for Yahoo
Directory. egroups used to be listed as an user of Open Directory - but
it's no more - at :
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/WWW/Searching_the_Web/Directories/Open_D
irectory_Project/Sites_Using_ODP_Data/

The yahoogroups directory structure is neither the Yahoo directory
structure. Strange. I'll try to investigate more about that.
Anyway could not find xtm-wg list through this new directory, neither by
the search engine. An XTM query yields the TMQL list, but not XTM-WG.To
make it short : XTM-WG list IS NOT FINDABLE FROM YAHOOGROUPS HOME PAGE.

http://www.egroups.com/group/xtm-wg redirects to :
with a brand new yahoo presentation.
The egroups account you might have had for this group is *not valid
anymore*
To sign in, you have first to convert your egroups account into a
yahoogroups account, which implies going through suscribing the famous
"Yahoo ID" with all the private stuff in it.

My personal position is clear : I **refuse** for all sorts of reasons - and
a sufficient one is this last "coup", if I had not already many others - to
be listed as a "Yahoo member".

I know we have deadlines and editors are already overloaded. But I urge the
PM and our chairman Eric to have a vote or some effective decision process
that we leave the place quickly and for good. It was wisely decided in
Paris that this decision had to be postponed given the deadlines of
delivery etc ... but I think what's happening has to make us reconsider
that decision.
I recall I made a concrete proposal to move to http://www.freelists.org. A
list is already open there, just waiting for us to move. Archives have been
copied there with no problem (up to 2001 january 8th, but can be updated at
any moment, unless yahoogroups new structure has put some new feature
preventing it).
Some PM had some hesitations concerning the stability and business model of
freelists. Well ... what about the business model of egroups ? Freelists is
an independent non-business structure ...  well ... Please take the time to
see what it is and make up your mind about it, and if you don't trust that
solution, propose another one.

If you feel this message carries an emergency feeling ... you're right, it
does !

Cheers all

Bernard

Bernard Vatant