Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Common Assumptions

Jack

I'm not quite sure I really catch your point concerning "bottom-up" or
"top-down" approach of ontologies.
Anyway I don't think we - mean by that the XTM authors/users - have to
pronounce on the way ontologies are built, which is a very interesting
debate we can continue in other forums (fora ?) but it's not in the field
of the specification IMO.
There are and they will always be - at least I hope so - a great variety of
ontologies, dictionaries, languages and views of the world.
I forged once the word "ontodiversity" like a generalization of
"biodiversity". Same advantages.
My only point is : if you want your Map to be sharable, use some visible
and stable one.
If I use Cyc as my TM reference, all TM using that same Cyc reference will
be able to merge Topics referenced in Cyc. No more.
As I answered very shortly to you in private, using Harrap's rather than
Webster's as reference dictionary when I play Scrabble - well, in fact I
generally play Scrabble in French, so it's either Larousse or Robert (or
both) - does not mean Harrap's is a "better one" or "unique reference".
Maybe it's the only one at hand when I play, and it's there only to make
sure all players have the same reference in case of disagreement.
I really don't believe in any consensus reality. I have a more modest
objective : build pragmatic tools enabling that when I say "A" and you say
"A" we can make sure we *agree we refer* to the same subject indicator ;
and using the same public dictionary/ontology is the only way I see to do
that.

That does not mean we have the same understanding of the definition we both
refer to.
That does not mean that definition is the best and only one.
And that has nothing to do with the way the dictionary/ontology is built.

Now we have another issue : will collaborative TM building help to build
"consensus" ontologies inside a community ?
I should be happy to answer yes. The only way to know is : let's try.

Bernard

Bernard Vatant
bernard@universimmedia.com
www.universimmedia.com