Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Common Assumptions

Jack Park wrote:

> From below: "If I use Cyc as my TM reference, all TM using that same Cyc
> reference will
> be able to merge Topics referenced in Cyc. No more."
>
> Well, we are, methinks, making progress here. It is clear that a common
> ontology is required. It is also clear that it matters not which ontology is
> used, so long as it is an agreed-upon entity.
>
> So, therefore, I return to my original claim, this time without calling it a
> concensus anything, that it will be useful for XTM to establish a library of
> URIs such that we avail ourselves and the rest of the world the opportunity
> to work from just one particular library (dictionary, ontology, whatever) of
> subjects.  Yup, it could grow to be huge.  So what? The web is already huge.
>
> As to the formation of a web community aimed at the formation of concensus
> ontologies, I'm fixin to do just that.  Watch this space.

Well, along these lines I hope to publish at least two topic maps. I
have already completed the first:

  1. a topic map containing all of the Cyc upper ontology, with
     subject indicators pointing to the Cyc online web pages.
  2. a topic map representing the Cyc upper ontology relationships
     intact. This is significantly more ambitious than #1. I'm about
     75% complete on this one, but have hit a few problems (such as
     how to represent Cyc variables). I'm working with Cycorp on
     this and other problems.

I hope to be able to publish both topic maps via TopicMaps.Org as a
White Paper or Technical Report later this Spring.

I'm also working toward publishing a US Library of Congress subject
headings topic map. This would provide over 320,000 subjects as
according to a particular publication date of the US LoC listings
(which evolve over time). This latter project will follow on after
the Cyc project.

Murray

Murray Altheim                            <mailto:altheim&#x40;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, Inc., MS MPK17-102, 1601 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA 94025

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details