Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Topic Naming Constraint question

Lars Marius Garshol wrote in pursuing his TNC conundrum

> * Thomas B. Passin
> |
> | The question of whether these two acronym expansions are "really"
> | the same or not is actually one that even a human might not be able
> | to answer.
>
> Well, actually the script has perfect knowledge of this.  There are
> two separate <STANDARD> elements, and so it knows that these two
> standards are different. The trouble is just that topic map software
> insists that they be merged.

OK, but there are plenty of other cases where it would be harder to know.

> | 1) In Lars' example, the two topics have two basenames each.  The
> | script could require a match on all basenames before automatically
> | merging the topics.
>
> Nope.  The spec allows us no such leeway.  If one basename is equal to
> that of another topic (with the same scope) those two topics must be
> merged.

 I wasn't exactly arguing that the spec would allow you to do these things,
contrary to what it really requires.  I was suggesting that the script be
thought of as doing a provisional job, such that a final merging of topics
(conforming with the rules in the spec) would take place after some possible
intervention.  After all, most of the suggestions that have been posted
proposed some kind of tinkering - sometimes by hand, sometimes by rule - to
avoid an automatic merge.

An automatic name mangling (like adding (1) and (2) to the two instances'
basenames) has been suggested by someone else (sorry, I forget who), hasn't
it?  That would fall into the same category, even if the script itself were to
do it.

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kWP7PD/pYNCAA/4ihDAA/2n6YlB/TM