Subject: [xtm-wg] _Topic Maps for Navigating E-Journals_

              _Topic Maps for Navigating E-Journals_

    With the association of Topic Maps with XML and the planned
migration to the use of XML by some e-publishers, it seems logical to
me that Topic Maps are / will be the Next Big Thing for access and
navigation within/between/among electronic journals. I have compiled
a  registry of innovative e-journal features, functionalities, and
content called EJI(sm) [Pronounced E- J - I or "Edgy" [:->]
[ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/EJI.htm ] and would like
to any e-journals that are using Topic Maps [or other Conceptual
Navigation technologies]

    While the paint has only recent dried on the Topic Map standard
and efforts for expressing Topic Maps in XML are still underway, I'd
be very interested in learning about Any and All efforts, plans,
and/or thoughts of using Topic Maps  to navigate e-journals.

[The use of Topic Maps in other digital environments (e.g., with
controlled vocabularies) would also be of interest]

   As Always, Any and All contributions, suggestions, comments,
queries, pardons, Cosmic Insights, etc. etc. etc. are Most Welcome!

[Thanks Alex Sigel ( Informationszentrum Sozialwissenschaften, Bonn,
Germany) for informing me about Topic Maps and his work in this and
related areas [  http://index.bonn.iz-soz.de/~sigel/]]

   Regards,

/Gerry McKiernan
Topical Librarian
Iowa State University Ames
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck@iastate.edu

        "The Best Way To Predict the Future is to Invent It"
                                                 Alan Kay

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kWP7PD/pYNCAA/4ihDAA/2n6YlB/TM