Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] The case against the TNC

* Geir Ove Grønmo
| I agree that this is how a computer and a user would be able to
| interact by using the knowledge stored in topic maps.
|
| Much of the problem in discussing the TNC is that it's not just about
| disambiguating names, which is the assumption people seem to have. All
| of the above examples are not really trying to disambigute the names,
| but rather the topics to which the names are connected. This is
| important.
|
| In the examples _all_ [ambiguous - or not] names of a given topic
| would have the same disambiguating themes! The themes are not specific
| to a single name, but should apply to all names of that topic.
|
| These themes used are describing/qualifying the topic - not the name.

This all makes me think that the concept of [name] scope (themes) is
overloaded. Scope now seem to be used for two different purposes,
namely describing intrinsic and extrinsic properties of the name:

 1. Intrinsic properties: it is used to describe what a name is (type
    of name), e.g. full name, acronym or maiden name.

 2. Extrinsic properties: it is used to disambiguate identical names
    of different topics by describing the _topic_, e.g. city, hero,
    Texas or France.

The twofold meaning is extremely unfortunate, especially since the
specification doesn't explicitly explain these two different meanings.

Geir O.

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kWP7PD/pYNCAA/4ihDAA/2n6YlB/TM