Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Agenda for Austin meeting

Dear XTMers

Due to pressing work commitments, I'm unable to attend the XTM meetings in
Austin. I've given Steve Pepper advance warning of this.

I wish you good meetings, and will see those of you who are stayin in Austin
for the Knowledge Technologies Conference. I arrive in Austin on Saturday
evening, and will be staying through till Wednesday evening.

Two offerings for your consideration:

1) Topic naming constraint: My view on this is very simple. The baseName
element should NOT be used UNLESS you are developing a controlled vocabulary
over whose scope you do intend to ensure name uniqueness. When you do have
such a vocabulary, you create a topic whose subject is the vocabulary
itself, and you scope your baseNames on this topic. That is, the baseName is
applicable in the scope of the vocabulary. This seems to me to be the only
sensible way to approach baseNames. On the other hand, if you want names
(not baseNames, but just plain ordinary names, which may be applicable to
more than one topic in any reasonable scope you might care to specify), you
should not use the baseName element at all, but use an occurrence of type
"name" instead. For this purpose, it could be good to have a PSI for a topic
called "name", which is referenced by the instanceOf subelement of
occurrences whose resourceData subelement contains a string that is intended
as a name. In Lars's example, you would thus have:

  <topic id="S_XMLQL">
    <instanceOf>
      <topicRef xlink:href="#TMTT_Standard"/>
    </instanceOf>
    <baseName>
      <baseNameString>XML-QL</baseNameString>
      <scope>
         <topicRef xlink:href="#MyControlledVocabularyOfStandards">
      </scope>
    </baseName>
    <occurrence>
      <instanceOf>
         <topicRef xlink:href="#name"/>
      </instanceOf>
      <resourceData>XML Query Language</resourceData>
    </occurrence>
  </topic>

2) Mapping of XTM Conceptual Model to XTM syntax:
Tomorrow I shall send my work so far on this, for your attention and
consideration. It is not complete, but is indicative of an approach that I
think could be continued in order to produce a complete mapping.

Best regards

Daniel

Find software faster. Search more than 20,000
software solutions on KnowledgeStorm. Register
now and get started.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ee3V2C/RNSCAA/2h4EAA/2n6YlB/TM