Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] For a general formalism of the semantic web - for more patient and formal work

Robert

*You* spoke of "big unified theory". I never mentioned it. I don't care for
Unifying Theory for the sake of it, I care for unifying tools.
It's a local concern, not a global one. And if you read closely what I can
write here and there about ontologies and such, you'll see that I'm scared
to death by Great Unification attempts. I did not capitalize. You did. I
just considered unifying all that is waiting for the right tool to be
unified : many developments - of which Topic Maps and XTM and RDF are just
some - have an implicit graph structure. Making that structure explicit,
based on strong existing mathematical tools, is what I'm up to. Physics is
not unified, I know that, and am happy with it, but both Quantum Mechanics
and General Relativity or whatever Unameit-Dynamics use algebra and calculus
and such. Mathematics are more or less unified too, but they are a very
powerful interoperating tool. One of the best ones I know so far, just
behind music :o)
I'm really amazed, to say the least, by those arguments about complexity of
use. Thousands of people keep learning in just no time Java and Perl and C++
and other incredibly non-obvious stuff I just don't dare try to understand -
IMO far more complex and far less intuitive to learn than graphs. Gads!
Maths are far simpler than any of those weirds syntaxes you find all around!
My plea for unification is not for the sake of some metaphysical quest. It's
just : stop to engulf energy in everchanging approximative tools. "Simpler
more effective than correct ?". I see neither simplicity, neither
effectiveness so far. Everybody has developed the "simplest" thing for one's
immediate needs and short business view, and OK some have engulfed megabucks
with that, and look at the mess they have put the world in : here we are
struggling in that jungle of evergrowing standards and languages and
syntaxes ...
Next century ? Definitely not. We're speaking about NOW. The situation is
complex, and we can't hope to get out of it with simple solutions and
continuous "bricolage" ...

If I look like on the nerves, it's maybe I've wasted my yesterday formatting
and restoring my system. Has that to do with the above ? Just guess ...

Cheers

Bernard