Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] A challenge on "the graph"

Sam Hunting wrote:
[...]
> [murray]
> > We need a data model in order to describe a processing model.
>
> Please elucidate.

Amid all the hairpulling and bloodletting in Austin, the central message
*I* pulled from everything was that TMQL and the processing model both
need a data model, that is, a formal description of the underlying
structure of the various components in a topic map. This can't be UML
as this model cannot rely on notes. The model must be in this sense
"mathematical" and state explicitly the constitution of each component
and its relations with other components. I still have that scrap of
paper with the green felt marker that Eliot drew from last year in
Paris, a diagram showing scoped names, occurrences and associations
connected to a binding point. I've since wondered why it couldn't be
as simple as this.

> [murray]
> > I'm skeptical that the current climate will produce it, but remain
> > somewhat optimistic because Sam is still trying.
>
> Honestly, Murray, I think (and certainly hope) it's not just me.
> Hopefully the procedural postings will soon be behind us, and we can
> get back to technical work...

Well, storm clouds are still milling about.

> [murray]
> > Yet there are those who have a difficult time with the W3C infoset
> > too.
>
> Me, for example.
>
> S.
>
> P.S. There's no reason why documentation of a grove-based graph
> shouldn't read as appealingly as the Infoset, and the very well-written
> straw man that Lars put forth. (This is not a slam -- it is not
> sufficient to have ideas, the ideas must be expressed.)

The only way to get through a crisis, resolve a misunderstanding, or
learn anything new is through *dialogue*, so whether Lars Marius is
in the end correct or not, I welcome his willingness to engage in such
a dialogue.

Murray

Murray Altheim, SGML/XML Grease Monkey     <mailto:altheim&#64;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, 1601 Willow Rd., MS UMPK17-102, Menlo Park, CA 94025

      the wood louse sits on a splinter and sings to the rising sap
      ain't it awful how winter lingers in springtimes lap -- archy

Do you have 128-bit SSL encryption server security?
Get VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your
Web Site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2cW4jC/c.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM