Subject: Re: API? WAS [xtm-wg] A challenge on "the graph"

[eliot]
> Here is our point of disagreement: Lars and I appear to agree that we
> must have a static data model that describes the structures that some
> API would expose--that is, the data that any XTM processor must act
> as though it has in its head (regardless of how it actually manages
> the XTM data).

[eliot]
> I also feel very strongly that without at least some
> sort of minimal standard API in the spirit of the DOM, that the world
> at large and our marketing effort in particular will not be well
> served.

Eliot, to my mind this is a powerful argument, since the API obviously
would advance the cause of federated global knowledge interchange.

I'm concerned about resources and scope and deadlines, and I'm also
very concerned when I hear (if I don't mistake your meaning) that the
API will "fall out" of the static data model. Not everything is that
easy, technically, politically, group dynamically.... Can you assuage
my nervousness on this point? What are the factors that would affect
API delivery besides resources and deadlines?

S.

=====
<!-- "To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life."
     - Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations -->

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption!
Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide,
"Securing Your Web site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/KVNB7A/e.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM