Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Conceptual Model

* Sam Hunting

| Nice things about having the intermediate layer between Conceptual
| Model and Syntax: (1) the PM will, we hope, serve as the data model
| for TMQL to query against; (2) ditto, though work here is less
| advanced, for APIs; (3) in future, it would be possible for other
| syntaxes than angle brackets to express ("demand") the PM.

I see the conceptual model primarily as a guide to those who wish to
understand the concepts in the topic map standards and the thinking
behind those. I think it is particularly useful in helping people
understand the relationships between the trinity of topic, subject and
resource.

As a basis for the three purposes you mention above, however, I don't
think it offers much, since it is so conceptual and provides too
little detail and precision. (I know I've said this before, but I
think it bears repeating.)

Once that is said, however, I want to point out that I think the XTMP
as it currently stands suffers from the same problems, though to a
lesser extent. I feel that something more detailed and closer to the
form of actual implementations, even if less mathematically elegant,
would be a lot more useful.

The model I personally would prefer would be based on nodes with named
and typed properties. Since none of the currently available formalisms
seem to be accepted by a sufficiently large audience, perhaps the
approach taken by the XML Infoset, which essentially has no formalism,
would be the best.

Furthermore, since it seems that there is little in the way of common
understanding of what purpose the processing model should serve I
think a brief requirements document would be very useful indeed. One
that were discussed and agreed upon in public over the next week or
two would be the best, IMHO.

--Lars M.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l3joGB/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/2n6YlB/TM