Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] XTM Open Source Project

From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@garshol.priv.no>
<snippage>
> I am interested in jTME, for several reasons. Is there a web page
> about it somewhere? Can it be downloaded? If not, could you say
> something about what it is?
>
> --Lars M.

There does not exist a download page, yet.
That's because I'm tied up getting the manuscript finished so that I'll have
time to set up something, perhaps at sourceforge.net, or, maybe something
within O'Reilly's collabnet setting.

jTME is a Java system, using the latest Swing technology and so forth.  The
program uses HypersonicSQL, an open source Java RDBMS as it data store.  If
I am able to pull it off, one should ultimately be able to plug in different
database engines.  In its full-monty implementation, it will include a
graphical user interface along with the textual one illustrated on the web
page.  I don't expect to have that feature implemented before the book is
published.  But then, things could change :-)

Thus far, jTME has been able to import and manipulate two different XTM 1.0
documents, and has successfully served as an editor for the construction of
a simple XTM 1.0 document. Plans are to soon be able to build sophisticated
topic maps as well.  Export doesn't work yet: it seems to die somewhere in
the toString() mechanism, most likely when the Java heap fills up.  Lots of
work left.

In the end, its development will continue in the open source community.

Jack

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) and may
contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not
the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies
of the message and its attachments and notify postmaster@verticalnet.com
immediately.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l3joGB/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/2n6YlB/TM