Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] XTM Whitespace Handling

* Murray Altheim

| I've had to modify local copies of the XTM DTD in order to keep the
| apache serializer from altering the whitespace in my documents.

I'm tempted to call this a bug in the Apache serializer. If it has the
DTD available it should never inject whitespace into the content of
any element with #PCDATA content[1]. If it does not have the DTD
available it should never inject whitespace into the content of an
element that contains text nodes (in the DOM view).

| The big question really is: is whitespace significant in XTM
| documents?

In <baseNameString> and <resourceData> it certainly is.

It may be that the processing model should contain a section on how to
produce XTM documents from the abstract model, thus settling this
formally once and for all.

| Do the base names
|
|   "Niagara Falls"
|   "  Niagara Falls"
|   "Niagara
| Falls"
|   "Niagara Falls "
|   "Niagara<tab>Falls"
|
| all match?

According to annex F.2.1 they do not.

| My recommendation (which I'm certainly open to discussing) would be
| to add
|
|    xml:space  (default|preserve)  'preserve'
|
| to those elements which we explicitly state that whitespace *is*
| significant.

I'm not really for or against this, but I think it may be the wrong
fix. That is, I think it may be the Apache serializer that needs
fixing more than the XTM 1.0 DTD. So even if we do add this I think
this should be reported as a bug.

--Lars M.

[1] If it does so on elements that have xml:space=default it may be
    OK, but not, I think, if xml:space is not set. It is generally
    _not_ safe to assume that anything that does not have
    xml:space=preserve is fair game.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/n4HqaC/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/2n6YlB/TM