Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Re: The Future of TopicMaps.Org

<- -----Original Message-----
<- From: Bernard Vatant [mailto:universimmedia@wanadoo.fr]
<- Sent: 01 May 2001 20:01
<- To: xtm-wg@yahoogroups.com
<-
<-  [Murray]
<-
<- > Before I attempt to answer such a loaded question, might
<- anyone actually
<- > *define* the "Semantic Web", and I don't mean some rather vague notion
<- > of adding "knowledge on the web." What real problem(s) are you actually
<- > trying to solve? What possible software do you plan to implement, or
<- > could even conceive of implementing?  I don't know how anyone could
<- > define a set of deliverables very well given the rather ambiguous or
<- > nonexistent requirements. All I've seen so far are vague notions of
<- > metadata and ontologies, technologies that already exist.
<-
<- Did you read this article and does not it somehow address your question?
<-
<- http://www.scientificamerican.com/2001/0501issue/0501berners-lee.html
<-
<- B.

Are you referring to the "off-the-shelf software for writing Semantic Web
pages" or "software agents roaming from page to page" or even "Adding logic
to the Web..."?
I think it prompts the question rather than addresses it...