Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Whatever happened to facets?

* Thomas B. Passin

| I did think that facet links were an unusual way to represent properties.

They most certainly were. The syntax, and the way they were
formulated, essentially turned everything inside out compared to the
way most people would expect something like this to be structured.

| That was because the facet values for a particular kind of property
| were all gathered together somewhere removed from the topics they
| appied to, connected by a reference.

Exactly.

| What were they supposed to be that was different from a facet, for
| instance?

A facet would say things like: "this resource was written by (facet
type) Tom Passin (facet value)", "this resource is best stored at
(facet type) freezing point (facet value)" and so on.

| I read it as saying that information "about" a particular topic
| "occurs" at some URI, and that you de-reference (retrieve) the URI
| to find out what the information actually contains.

This is how I understand it as well.

--Lars M.