Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] The Future of TopicMaps.Org

I want to second most of the things Steve has said.

SC34 will be meeting in Berlin along with the conference, and Steve will be
chairing the sessions of WG3, which is responsible for ISO 13250. All three
editors of the ISO standard will be in Berlin, at least two of them (the
onew who worked most on XTM) for the whole time. The US has submitted a
position to SC34 that as much as possible of XTM (starting with the DTD,
which almost everyone seems to like) be folded into the ISO standard. SC34
has two newly approved work items dealing with TM models that we have to
decide how to deal with. The chairman of JTC1 (the parent body of SC34) has
suggested that SC34 contact the W3C because such contacts between JTC1
bodies and the W3C have been fruitful in the past.

ISUG will also have its business meeting in Berlin, and one of the topics I
plan to discuss is how ISUG can help to pick up the pieces from
TopicMaps.org.

I, too, have an appointment with Scott Mcgrath of OASIS in Berlin, to talk
about how both SC34 and ISUG can work with them.

I think I'm hearing much the same sorts of things from a lot of directions.
There are lots of people who want this work to be preserved and improved,
even if some of us haven't been communicating as well as we ought. I think
we can bring it off.

Jim Mason

Chairman, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34
President, ISUG