Subject: [topicmapmail] RE: [xtm-wg] please let ISO define the "isness" of topic maps

Just speaking for the ISO bureaucracy, I'd say everybody's pretty much in
agreement, and we don't need to worry much.

It's going to take us a couple of months (now that we're all getting back to
our places of business) to get the ISO ballots sent out and processed, but
then we ought to have established a safe home for the DTD. We know that
there's more work to do, such as covering the differences between what the
XTM DTD represents and what's in the overall design in 13250. There are
models to produce to get the "isness" well defined. The amount of work is
significant. But there seems to be agreement on the direction, even if we
don't know all the details yet.

I take the current series of exchanges as a healthy sign. We're in
transition. We've agreed to some things in principle, and now we're having
to get ourselves moving to work out details. We're passing messages around,
trying to reassure ourselves that it's all going to work out. I have
confidence that we will make it work.

Jim Mason

James David Mason, Ph.D.

Y-12 National Security Complex