Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] ISO 11179 attributes for XTM?

"Mason, James David (MXM)" wrote:

> ISO/IEC 11179 is Information technology - Specification and standardization
> of data elements -
> Part 1: Framework for the specification and standardization of data
> elements.
> Part 2: Classification for data elements
> Part 3: Basic attributes of data elements.
> Part 4: Rules and guidelines for the formulation of data definitions
> Part 5: Naming and identification principles for data elements
> Part 6: Registration of data elements.
>
> It's a product of JTC1/SC32, a committee in parallel with SC34.
>
> ISO/IEC 11179 is intended for use with SQL systems. It's an example of a
> standard that's expected to work with a Registry and a Registration
> Authority: it categorizes elements to be used with DBMSs. It includes
> metadata elements that might be candidates for PSIs.

Jim,

I'm not so much interested in figuring out how ISO 11179 might fit into
topic maps, but in how topic maps might fit into 11179. If you look at
the Dublin Core Metadata Element Set [DCMES] you find that each of the
fifteen DC elements defines a set of 11179 attributes. Six of them are
the same for all elements, the last four vary per element. Terry Allen
designed the OASIS Registry and Repository around 11179, and I've been
encouraging the ebXML RegRep project (its progeny) to do the same.

If XTM were to add a normative, optionally processed DTD module that
added a set of #FIXED attributes to the DTD as according to ISO 11179,
it could fit into the framework of metadata specifications with some
exactitude. This set of elements would be defined for both ISO 13250
and XTM, and would in fact be the binding between them. I'm willing to
do the work, but it's just putting another project onto my already
deep pile.

Murray

[DCMES] Dublin Core Metadata Element Set, Version 1.1: Reference Description
  http://dublincore.org/documents/1999/07/02/dces/
Murray Altheim                            <mailto:altheim&#x40;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, Inc., MS MPK17-102, 1601 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA 94025

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu