Subject: Re: Registration Autorities and PSIs (was: RE: [xtm-wg] Fixing langua ge.xtm and country.xtm)

"Mason, James David (MXM)" wrote:

> When I brought up Registration Authorities and permanent locations of things
> online, I wasn't intending to get a long discussion going, just to point out
> that there are more issues than just fixing up the files Murray had done
> some months ago.
>
> I agree with those who say that we won't get anything settled until the
> various interested groups meet in Montréal.
[...]
> I don't like brain-dead URLs in namespaces. However, I recognize that a
> certain part of the online community isn't disturbed by that.
[...]

I agree with most everything you've said, Jim. Regarding your comments
on the stability of PSIs (ie., in their respective documents being online
into the future), XTM is the base technology for a Web-based topic map.
That's the purpose of XTM, to get ISO 13250 onto the Web. We've done it.
The organization that did that was TopicMaps.Org, and it has a web site.
If Michel would be so gracious as to sell the name to OASIS, we'd
establish the stability we need into the future. If he's not, I would
think him selfish in view of the community's needs. Perhaps he considers
his ownership of it a protection. But that's a different subject, and
I don't mean to impune anyone's motives, nor do I claim to often even
understand them lately.

So long as someone keeps paying the bills on keeping TopicMaps.Org's
specific documents alive and online, it doesn't matter what organization
"owns" the name, or what person or organization pays the bills. There's
no reason to believe that so long as XTM is relevant this won't remain
the case. The site contents themselves are very small, and could be
incorporated anywhere should there be no sponsor. I think that any
approved XTM work items should be posted on "http://www.topicmaps.org/"
no matter who or what sits behind that URL paying the bills.  This is
as much as anyone gets on the Web, in that so long as the "http" scheme
still functions we have the opportunity to keep this alive.

Murray

Murray Altheim, SGML/XML Grease Monkey     <mailto:altheim&#64;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, 1601 Willow Rd., MS UMPK17-102, Menlo Park, CA 94025

         america was once a paradise
         of timberland and stream
         but it is dying because of the greed
         and money lust of a thousand little kings -- archy (1927)