Subject: [xtm-wg] Questions on topic maps

Dear Topic Map People

I have some questions regarding the topic map standards and the data
model.  These questions are rather elementary so, rather than re-open
discussions which have been done and dusted, I'm happy to grep the
information out of the archives.

1. topic.scope

I notice that in ISO 13250 topic elements can have scope attributes,
but that in XTM (I'm using the 10th Feb 2001 spec) the scope element
cannot occur in topic elements.  Why the change?

2. role.class

In some work on the topic map data model (specifically Lars Marius
Garshol's infoset-based proposal 20010618), association role items may
be an instance of only one class.  Although this seems reasonable
prima facie, there may be cases where a single entity takes more than
one role in an association.  Isn't this best represented as
a single role item with a list of classes (rather than a number of
role items, each referring to the same topic)?

Any comments or pointers welcome.  We are tracking topic map and TMQL
development and obviously understanding the theory helps
implementation enormously.

Yours

Ivan Uemlianin

--