Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Topic map structuring and preparing

At 04:15 20.07.2001 -0700, Anil Kumar wrote:
>I have got a large chunk of data in variety of formats
>and has got many topics in each file/documents. How
>can I attach those files as a developer while
>preparing a topicmap . For example in Ontopia
>Navigator  a topicmap is prepared for a Italian Opera
>and it is being prepared professionally with all the
>subtypes,supertypes, reference etc . How could the
>developer be able to link all those into associations,
>scope etc to make it so useful. I need to know whether
>a person who is an Italian Opera expert has been used
>in doing that and also u have gone through all those
>documents and found everything for structuring.
>  I expect a full description if possible .

I'm afraid a full description is not possible, it would take
too long. Ontopia offers workshops covering this kind of thing,
and the *minimum* length is one whole day (assuming knowledge
of the basic topic map concepts).

The short answer is that the ontology of the Italian Opera
topic map was developed by someone who (in some measure) is
a domain expert. Ontologies cannot be developed by non-experts.
Part of this work involved examining the documents, but most
of it came from an intimate knowledge of the subject area.

The basic process is as follows:

- delimit the scope of the application
- brainstorm relevant concepts, including examination of
  documents, if available
- organise result into topic types, association types, occurrence
  types, and individuals
- revisit each typing topic and refine the ontology along certain
  principles

 From this point it is possible to start populating the topic map,
either automatically (if your basic set of information is sufficiently
well-structured) or manually.

Sorry this is only a bare outline. Come to the "Modelling Topic Maps"
tutorial in Montreal if you want the details :-)

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Executive Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)