Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Questions on topic maps

Hi,

Ivan Uemlianin wrote:
> Dear Steve
>
> Thank you for your reply.  However, it doesn't really allay my concerns.
>
> > > ISO 13250 provides a mechanism to
> > > represent the difference between a topic which just happened only/not to
> > > have any characteristics within a certain scope, and a topic which in
> > > principle could only/not have characteristics within a certain scope?
> namely, scope attributes of topic elements: a topic which has an
> interpretation only in biology could be represented as something like [1].

> This is different from [2].

> Given some UI and accessing this topic map from outside the scope "biology",
> topic2 would show up with no characteristics, whereas topic1 would be
> invisible and inaccessible.  I feel it is important to allow this
> distinction.

I totally agree. And this is not only a UI issue. It is also an issue how
the concepts work together on the semantic level.

The typical answer to the question Ivan raised is "assign the same scope
to all the characteristics of a topic" but this *is not* the same as as
saying "this concept (reified by a topic) is only valid in a certain scope"
and the latter cannot be expressed in TM world (or can it?).

I hope we will have some discussions concerning this issue in
Montreal (SC34 WG3 meeting).

--Holger

--
Dr. H. Holger Rath <holger.rath@empolis.com>