Subject: [xtm-wg] topic map complexity, and references

Hi,

I am an indexer and librarian, fairly new to the concept of topic maps. I
have three queries.

Firstly, I have read the TAO of Topic Maps at the Ontopia site. Are there
any other good introductory articles you would recommend.

Secondly, as a librarian i have seen the triumph of simple schemes over
complex, perhaps conceputally much better schemes (eg PRECIS was a scheme
that defined roles and links, and allowed automated generation of
alternative access points, but it failed to catch on because it was too
time-consuming and took too long to do). I'm wondering whether topic maps
might suffer from similar problems.

Thirdly, one of the examples used was of operas. It seems to me that some
domains are relatively easy to map, and this might be one. Other domains are
extremely difficult to structure, and topic maps might be beyond them.

Glenda Browne.

Glenda Browne and Jonathan Jermey
http://www.optusnet.com.au/~webindexing

Small business owners...