Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] New language.xtm and country.xtm proposals

"Florian G. Haas" wrote:
[...]
> Does anyone agree with me that it's *desirable* to use a <topicRef> for this
> purpose where you can, and resort to a <subjectIndicatorRef> if you must? Or
> am I completely out to lunch?

Yes, the design was created to allow either, but as you state, it's desirable
to use an explicit topic reference when it is to a <topic> element. This was
what we had in mind when we wrote the DTD.

> That being said, I'd like to voice a personal opinion about the discussion
> and approval process of country.xtm and language.xtm. Firstly, it's good to
> see that there's some progress. Secondly, I'm not personally acquainted with
> either of the two gladiators involved, and I firmly believe that whatever
> selection is eventually made, it had best not be influenced by any
> particular person's authorship. IMHO, what should be selected should be the
> best available. And then of course there's the option of calmly sitting down
> and comparing the two versions, and maybe creating a third one that combines
> the advantages of both...

All I've been asking to do is wait until we have a mediation process to
deal with the disagreements. It's silly for us to argue for weeks over
these issues with no way to really resolve anything. We're two weeks
away from having a process, and then I'm quite happy to deal with these
things then.

Murray

Murray Altheim                         <mailto:murray.altheim&#x40;sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, Inc., MS MPK17-102, 1601 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA 94025

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!
http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=n094442340008000
http://us.click.yahoo.com/n7RbFC/zhwCAA/yigFAA/2U_rlB/TM