Subject: RE: [topicmaps-comment] Email line-wrapping etiquette

Title: RE: [topicmaps-comment] Email line-wrapping etiquette

Hi Murray,

>>I'm guessing you're somewhat new to email?
Not really.  My first "mail" account was on a DEC-10 in 1974
(where we had to manually pull paper tape through a reader to
reboot if we crashed the system--which was not too infrequent).
Though we didn't call it e-mail "way back then". <g>

I'm not suggesting that we all use fancy mail clients.  The only "modern" feature I think its safe to assume is that the client should be able to wrap (or, optionally, not wrap) long lines like this one.  And I agree that white space is important and should be preserved in plain text messages.

        // this function should not be mangled
        // or wrapped by the mail client.
        void noop()
        {
        }

The long line and the function above (or a nicely
indented poem) should both make it through without
damage with any sensible client.

My own preference if for people to hit enter only when they
really
care if there  should be a newline there or not.  In the middle
of
a paragraph, I'd suggest just keep typing.  Otherwise when you
resize
a window narrower than the window the typist was using, you get
ugliness
like this paragraph.

 -- fas