Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] RE: OASIS vs W3C

* Lars Marius Garshol

| For topic maps work has started on TMCL, which will be the topic map
| equivalent of RDF Schema. At the moment, all we have is a
| requirements document and a strawman proposal. Hopefully we will get
| at least one serious proposal before long.

* Sam Hunting

| Maybe I don't understand the ISO process well enough, but I'm not
| sure that making TMCL a "work item" and giving it a number means
| that it "will" become anything at all,

There can be no guarantee, of course, but TMCL is considered to be
sufficiently important to a sufficiently large part of the community
that it would surprise me greatly if nothing were to come of it.

TMCL is a very important part of the future topic map infrastructure,
enabling validation of topic map data, user-friendly editing
interfaces, documentation of topic map constraints/structures, various
forms of optimization, and many other cool things people will think of
that they have not yet.

| let alone the "equivalent" (whatever that may be) of RDF schema

That is the intention.

The concept of a schema language is straightforward enough that there
should be no problem understanding the equivalence of the relationship
between TMCL and topic maps on the one hand and RDF Schema and RDF on
the other.

--Lars M.