Subject: [topicmaps-comment] topic maps and metadata

David Dodds
wrote Chapter 11 Further TopicMap / RDF Development
Introduction in Ch 14 Process Description
Chapter 15 Inferencing Systems
Chapter 16 Advanced Meta Data Use Cases

in the WROX book Professional XML Meta Data

Chapter 11 contains two parts: one possible way to go about automatic topic
map construction; and combining RDF and Topic Maps. I talked about manual
construction, combination of manual and automated construction including
XTM-aware visual construction tool, and
automatic topic map construction.

I use an SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) XML file as the "source info" for
the topic map that is created in the chapter. I provide a lot of code, which
shows the topic map code and the RDF meta data used to inform the
inferencing steps to generate the TM code. The SVG input
"data set" is a line-diagram electronic schematic of a circuit. A rendered
picture version of the SVG is shown in the chapter.

The point of the code and discussion was that a picture or diagram can have
associated metadata in RDF, DAML-OIL etc and have a meaningful semantic
graph, topic map, derived from it. The topic map can, in turn,
use/reference/link to a plethora of topic/knowledge about the
(content) domain of the diagram or picture. In this case a diagram of an
electronic circuit can be made conceptually searchable by virtue of its
topic map. I pointed out, for example, that thanks to the topic map, the
computer was able to perceive that the electronic diagram in the chapter is
the same kind of thing as an electronic diagram of an ILS transponder in
Boeing's 777 documentation, is the same kind of thing as the diagram in your
VHS tape machine innards, is also a same kind of visual and picture thing as
the Mona Lisa and Da Vinci's notebook drawings.

The topic map gives a powerful additional semantic/meaning handle for both
computers and humans.

I mention future TM work that Benedicte Le Grande and I are jointly
pursuing, which for my part invovles augmenting RDF with DAML-OIL and
OpenCyc.

I had orignally submitted details (code) to WROX about simultaneous RDF and
Topic Maps in a single XML (SVG) file. They threw most of that away in their
wisdom. A brief mention did survive in the chapter.

The chapter closes with a discussion about using a graph data manipulation
language to do topic map construction, where graph manipulation of RDF
graphs are used to transform them into topic
map graphs.

Introduction to Chapter 14 Process Description - I had submitted a chapter
on Process Description which talked about PSL and also about SMIL. WROX
tossed my CH 14, except for its introduction and credited NIST for the whole
chapter.

Chapter 15 is a light hearted introduction to logical and inferencing
systems. It was designed for non-programmers who might not have understood
the whys and wherefors of inferencing code in
my other chapters.

In Chapter 16 , I discuss how to use UKL to create Topic Map code which
talks about self-describing XML files, the XML file in the chapter example
is an SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) file.The picture (a bar chart) the SVG
produces is shown in the chapter.
The chapter ends with an example of meta data for document integrity and
recovery. An SVG based picture is shown and the text discusses how one might
use meta data to handle such things as alterations and forgeries of the
original content. The technique does not use pixel
capture/template matching. It is also scalable, because SVG is scalable.
"Self-similar" (fractal) content can be handled as well, by virtue of the
fractal dimension and lacunarity measures used.

David Dodds