Subject: Re: RDF/Topic Maps: what's an Application? (was: Re:[topicmaps-comment] RE: OASIS vs W3C)

On 27/09/2001 23:37:30 "Steven R. Newcomb" wrote:

>I claim:
>(1) A Topic Maps application can be an application of RDF.
>(2) An RDF application can be an application of Topic Maps.
>(3) Topic Maps itself can be an application of RDF.
>(4) RDF itself can be an application of Topic Maps.

Clearly there is a Turing Machine equivalence that applies here at the lowest level, so I can implement either topic maps or RDF using a suitably large abacus or a suitably organised barrel of monkeys (those little plastic ones I remember from my childhood).  A couple of more interesting questions, to me at least, are

1. How much more difficult would it be to implement a topic map application using an RDF engine rather than a topic map engine, and what would I gain/lose in the process?

2. How much more difficult would it be to implement an RDF application using a topic map engine rather than an RDF engine, and what would I gain/lose in the process?

     Cheers,
          Tony.
========
Anthony B. Coates
(1) Content Distribution Architect - Project Gazelle
(2) Leader of XML Architecture & Design - Chief Technology Office
Reuters Plc, London.
Tony.Coates@reuters.com
========

the views of Reuters Ltd.