Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] Can subjectIdentity elements guarantee topicidentity?

This argument is a good illustration for the need to apply scopes.  A scope
for the first topic could be "art" or some such, and a scope for the second
could be steganography.  Scope are intended for exactly this purpose, to
provide the context in which a subject is to be considered.  Different
scopes would prevent the topics from being merged, or, if they were merged
anyway, would still allow you to disambiguate (that wonderful word!) the two
uses.

But it's also a good illustration of what Steve N was just arguing for a few
days ago.  These example topics are poorly formed, in that they are not
about one single clear idea pointed to by the subjectref.  If the first
topic is really about steganography, the the image would be an occurrance of
the topic, not the subject.  If the subject really were the image, then
steganography should be another topic with an association of some kind to
the the image.  Either way, these topics are poorly constructed.  Trying to
make the subject a contingent compound idea like "this image as an
illustration of steganography" is not a good idea.

But Ivan illustrates another important point.  Defining topics properly is
hard, as Steve N also said.  Consequently, in real life many maps will come
to contain poorly formed topics.  It seems to me that the main defence for
your own maps becoming infected by such topics would a liberal application
of scope antibody.

Cheers,

Tom P

[Ivan Uemlianin\