Subject: RE: [topicmaps-comment] Everchanging subjects [ Notionshaveexistence...]

Yes, I do follow Hofstader work, and based a lot of my work on text element
similarity analysis that I tried to get built into automated
declassification technology in 1995 - 1998.

I will say, however that the notion of large maps does not feel right to me.
If we have a computationally emergent process that produces a small and
situationed graph, then the graph might have less than one hundred nodes
(topics) and perhaps even less than 10.  This would correspond to the moment
by moment presence of concepts in a human mind.. not millions or billons or
even one for each word in a dictionary.

In my mind I see the emergent small topic map as something that is created
via a second order control system and a human awareness - but not as a
retrieval of a small part of a much large topic map - like system such as
Cyc.

So, whereas I agree that similarity analysis like Hofstader and his few
students (at NMSU mostly) is very important to the specification of semantic
linkage, this excellent work in no ways makes any progress towards the
problem of situatedness.

David Dodd's notion of contextual situatedness may be close to mine - I can
not yet tell.  He comes from a technical background where things seems to be
said mostly in XML type jargon.  My background is pure mathematics, physics
and neuropsychology.

I have discussed recently the notion that situatedness must be properly
related to the physics of space and time and that the simulated models for
(for example Complex Adaptive Systems) are not "stratified" in the sense
that the group developing stratified complexity theory is defining.

These thoughts expressed above are formative and still under development.