Subject: [topicmaps-comment] RE: [eventChemistry] The Zen of Ontology,Business, and Survival

Dick,

(1) As we see also, the production of knowledge engineering based competency assurance models is a key aspect of the needed process models for government procurement.  Specifically of interest to the BCNGroup is a competency assurance process model for the procurement of basic R&D and the adoption and deployment of results from basic R&D.

(2) What is the value comparison between Milner's wordNet and Kipfer's Concept Index?

(3) The use of the Kipfer Concept Index can be accomodated by arranging for a licence, if this licence is not so high as to make this use prohibitive.  Perhaps you can indicate what licence cost might be in the case of the Incident Management and Intrusion Detection system that I hope to deploy in the second quarter 2002?  I suspect that development cost will be around 250K with around 125K already spent.  The SLIP software and eventChemistry is packaged in a data base independant (In-Memory Referential Information Base) and I intended to have free distribution of the software (without licence) within CERT (Computer Emergency Response Team) offices and depend only on the initial consulting services, and the development of vertical markets in IP evaluation and text mining processes.  How can we tie all of this together?  It is not the purpose to create wealth by helping the cyber warfare folks, as the problems of formative ontology (eventChemistry) once solved in this domain will be applicable in other verticals.

(4) the application of SLIP processes to vetting clinical assessments and medical ontology from the clerks to the insurnace company is also an interesting challange.  Don Mitchell is developing a new Root_KOS demo for this area:

http://www.bcngroup.org/admin/KNA/hc_apm/sld001.htm
http://www.ontologystream.com/SLIP/files/TheRootKOS.htm

But the primary issue now, for me, is that of how to regard the role of "topics" and processes.   This is why I am ccing the OASIS forum.

***

I realize that this discussion moves us away form the mainstream of excellent work on topic maps production in various domains.  Perhaps we should eventually move the discussion into the eventChemistry forum...  An invitation to join that forum is made.  Perhaps a summary of the discussion can be made by someone and posted on a regular basis here?

Better yet, perhaps OASIS might provide a dedicated e-forum to eventChemistry (or "formative ontology") ?