Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] TAO vs. ERA

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 01:57:29PM -0500, Thomas B. Passin wrote:
> > ......................................... The scopes of the names
> > limit the validity of the names, and nothing else.
> >
> I'm not claiming anything different, but if you are going to select a scope
> to apply by means of selecting its name, there can be an operational
> impact - that, is suppose you wish to apply a scope whose topic has a
> baseNameString "English".  If that name is not in scope, it might not be
> listed to select (I'm using the case of a person choosing from a list box,
> but the same thing could apply in other scenarios).   In this situation, one
> could not apply that scope to do, for example, filtering, unless the name of
> the scope were in scope.

Yes, this is a typical situation if the user preference (scope) hide
all baseNames because the fall out of scope. I think this is _very_
application specific, how to behave here.

My high-level interface allows to provide a list of scope (like
HTTP negotiation, language preferences) and the TM software then
returns the first match. If there is still no matching content,
then the UI has to make something up.

\rho