Subject: Re: Logical constraints in TM (Re: [topicmaps-comment] TAO vs. ERA)

* Bernard Vatant

| Those questions all boil down to the open question of how to express
| onto-logical constraints in topic maps.

Actually, I think there are two different issues here. One is the
proper use of the associations defined through PSIs in XTM 1.0, which
could have been described in ordinary English prose. That might not
have been the best solution, but it would have been much better than
what actually was done.

| We have so far no way to check such inconsistencies as
| classification loops, no more indeed than to set and apply any other
| consistency or inference rule. [...]

After this point I didn't really follow you. TMCL is being developed,
and that will allow us to describe some of the constraints on
associations. Doing inferencing is in my view a separate task, and
TMQL deal with this. If it does not we should probably define a
standard language for it at some point.

How this response relates to what you wrote I am not entirely sure,
since I didn't fully understand it.

--Lars M.