Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] multilingual thesaurus - language, scope,and topic naming constraint

[Bernard Vatant]

> I stumbled on a case where different descriptors have the same name in
>some languages, and different ones in some others.
> It looks like english, german and french makes the difference, whereas
dutch, danish and spanish clearly don't ... although I'm pretty
> sure they do distinguish the concepts (social science vs
> economical system) but it does not show in the names the Thesaurus
> provides.
>
> If I use languages as scopes - which is usual - how will
> the topic naming constraint apply? Should my TM engine merge
> topic1 and topic2, because they have the same name in the
> scope "SPA"? Does not make sense ...

Apply more than one scope to each name, like "language", "social study",
"activity".  It is the set of scopes that must match for the TNC to apply:

"2. The scopes in which the base names occur are equal as defined by the
scope equality principle. "

Tom P