Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] multilingual thesaurus - language, scope,and topic naming constraint

[Bernard Vatant]
> Thanks to all who tried to answer, both on this list and through private
communications.
> ..
> And he was right! The only sustainable viewpoint is that there is no such
thing as a
> *concept independent of its representation by a term in a certain
language*. Every
> attachment of a term to a concept is always asserted in the scope of a
certain language,
> and every other language conveys a slightly or radically different view of
the world and
> organisation of concepts, and that's why lingual diversity is so precious,
and translation
> so difficult ...
>
> So what is a descriptor, putting together those six concepts for the
purpose of
> cross-language communication and translation?
> What do you do when you gather topics? Obvious - you build an association.
And what is the
> scope of that association? The scope of the language viewpoint from which
you assert this
> association, that means the default language of the thesaurus ...
> This association asserts that those topics can be considered as
"equivalent", allowing a
> translation which makes sense, maybe in a certain scope. Note that the
scope is not on the
> names, but on the association. And that the associations are not
necessarily the same if I
> stand from another language viewpoint. So if I edit the thesaurus with a
different default
> language, I will certainly have to change the set of associations.

Bernard, this is good stuff.  Of course, it brings up the issue of the
nature of concepts and their relation to language, a heady topic if there
ever was one!. I have often thought that associations were the perfect way
to represent synonym and homonym-like relations, and a thesaurus association
is in that vein too.  But that would have been for __words__ - represented
as topics.  I didn't think of representing that those words themselves stood
for different concepts.  Interesting!

Tom P