Subject: AW: AW: [topicmaps-comment] multilingual thesaurus - language, sc ope,and topic naming constraint

Title: AW: AW: [topicmaps-comment] multilingual thesaurus - language, scope, and topic naming constraint

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Tony.Coates@reuters.com [mailto:Tony.Coates@reuters.com]
Gesendet: Freitag, 1. Februar 2002 13:27
An: topicmaps-comments
Betreff: Re: AW: [topicmaps-comment] multilingual thesaurus - language,
scope, and topic naming constraint

> Your suggestion presumes that there is a single, agreed upon set of languages (and hence codes), which is what XML assumes > ISO can deal with.  However, the difficult question of what is a language (versus a dialect) is one that people have all > > but fought wars over (e.g. Bulgarian/Macedonian, Dutch/Flemish), so there is something to be said for allowing alternate > > lists of languages.  The way XTM works, people normally use the standard language published subjects (which are presumably > based on ISO), but nothing stops you from using an alternative set if that is more suitable to the political surroundings > > in which you find yourself.  I see that as an advantage over what XML natively allows.

Tony, this is an agument! ISO committes are not that flexible ;^).
But what you suggest is another commitee that will decide about the recognition of a language/dialect to be included into the list of PSI languages. This is a very political matter! Whatever we think about ISO - do we want to rival? And how will we decide? Voting?

Thomas Bandholtz