Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] referring to a topic from outside a TM

* H. Holger Rath

| The ISO topic maps committee SC34 WG3 talked about this issue last
| August and identified it as very important issue to make "global
| knowledge interchange" work with topic maps. We named it the "Topic
| Map Addressing Scheme (TOMAS)", which could be based on a special
| URN scheme. But we have not discussed it in detail because other
| things have to be finalized before (e.g., data model).

Just for the record: I am not at all certain that this is really
necessary, and least of all certain that URNs are the way to do it if
we really do need it.

I'm still waiting for Graham's paper on this so I can find out
precisely what this is supposed to be, but the descriptions given so
far have not convinced me that this idea has any merit.

The supporters of the idea should of course feel encouraged to stand
up and support it. :-)