Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] TM Project: Syndication, Channels

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 05:42:29PM -0500, Dan Brickley wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Robert Barta wrote:
> > "Our goal for this project is to create a Topic Map equivalence of RSS."

> You might want to think about an FAQ explaining to webmasters and content
> producers why there's a need for yet another data format in this space.

For a webmaster/web application engineer the format is completely
transparent. We will just add one "driver" to XML::RSS.

I also see it as a "strategical" issue that the TM world can offer
a facility, especially if merging kicks in.

Still, there has to be a ....

> Can't you just load RSS feeds into your XTM systems, using one of the
> various proposed RDF2XTM mappings?

... __application specific__ semantic mapping. As this is an easy, restricted
domain/vocabulary it would be pretty much of an academic overkill to use
a generic mapping.

Then - due to the longwinded evolution of RSS - there are already quite
a few formats around. Not all of them are perfect RDF applications. Actually,
few are. Some of them are not even wellformed XML, BTW.

\rho