Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] Good PSIs never die

Hi--

Actually, I posted to you privately so as not to get into a flame war

Here's another question.

S.

[bernard]
> I think that thread relevant to PubSubj should be continued on
> tm-pubsubj-comments list.
>
> [Lars Marius]
> > > We do need to be *really* clear on one thing: the subject
> > > indicator itself (the resource, the text, the thing humans read)
is
> > > *only* for human documentation. It has no other purpose
whatsoever.
> > > When machines do merging they use the URI (also known as the
subject
> > > identifier, precisely for that reason).

Since I'm still coming up to speed on this, let me ask --

The XTM 1.0 specification reads:

    Published Subject Indicator
    A subject indicator that is published and maintained at an
advertised
    address for the purpose of facilitating topic map interchange and
    mergeabilty

and

   Subject Indicator
   A resource that is intended by the topic map author to provide a
   positive, unambiguous indication of the identity of a subject. ...
   The subject indicated by a subject indicator may be either
   non-addressable or addressable.

There isn't anything here about a subject indicator being ONLY for
human documentation. (In fact, the above definitions definitely permit
the intent of the author to be expressed by a statement in a
machine-readable, controlled vocabulary.) So I'm confused.

Is the OASIS PSI committee recommending the replacement of XTM 1.0
semantics for subject identity with new semantics?

S.

=====
<!-- Topic map consulting:          www.etopicality.com
     Open source topic map toolkit: www.goose-works.org

"A human is a topic map's way of making another topic map."

-->