Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] Genetic PSIs [Re: Topic Map domain,paradigmatic PSIs ...]

[Bernard Vatant]

> The idea of the day, for what it's worth :)
>
> "Who should publish our core PSIs?" "Under what domain?" etc ...
>
> This has led and will lead to endless debate and conflicts until we'll get
to understand
> and apply a very simple principle that has allowed complex information to
maintain itself
> on Earth against - so far - all possible disasters. Think about genetic
information.

> 1. It has to stay stable over the time.
> 2. But its supports are very fragile and bound to short-term destruction.
>
> Pretty much like PSIs information, right? I want my subject to stay
identified in the
> future - say a hundred years from now, not to hope for billions - but can
figure the risk
> that the current URI will be dead at some point in the near future is
quite high, whatever
> the trust I put on it right now. In fact, I've better assume that it will
be dead. Given
> the elusivity of technology, many Cretaceous-Trias crises are likely to
occur during the
> next century. But remember - good PSIs should never die!
>
> What is the solution proposed by life? Duplicate, replicate, distribute
all over the
> place. The essential genetic information is everywhere. This solution has
proven
> scalability and efficiency for over 3 billion years.

Ah, this is so interesting. Another solution that life uses is in-situ
repair (of DNA), and another is to destroy bad copies that cannot be fixed.

Now, what will be the equivalent of junk DNA?  Anyone care to hazard a
guess?  Might it be advertising?

Can we recombine with other genetic threads to create novel information?

Cheers,

Tom P