Subject: [topicmaps-comment] RE: [humanmarkup-comment] Base Schema-artifact

Rex,

Let me see if I can get a foot hold on this discussion regarding the mark up
(annotation) of human behavior with respect to Human Information
Interaction.

It appears to me that human mark up requires a type of ontology, and thus
has the normal and expected problems that ontology always has.  Do we select
certain concept, such as address, artifact and bodyLocation; and build from
there - adding new concepts?

Is there any other way to go about this process of producing an enumeration
of types?

I am not merely stringing you-all along, and I think that there is an
answer.  But the approach to the problem might need to take into account
"how" things come into being, and thus how the elements, that the ontology
refers to, form.

Elements (what ever these are called - "subjects" etc) of Topic Maps, XML
schema and RDF metadata tagging (or KIF for that matter) are specified
without the specification of a formative process that produces the elements.
(Am I wrong in some way about this claim?)

I know that various things are tried to get around this deficit.  But the
human brain does develop an enumeration of type and does participate in
natural language, individual cognition, and awareness.  How does this occur,
in the natural world with a human brain.

The predominance of the AI myth (that machine can experience thought) is a
barrier to us, because when we think through these issues of ontology
construction we are NOT reminding ourselves that computer science is not now
an natural science.  Herbert Simon called this the "Science of the
Artificial".

How we get the artificial constructs from logic (first order predicate
logic) and mathematics (data mining) to do what natural systems do, when the
artificial constructs have only a shadow of the natural world (see Roger
Penrose's book "Shadows of the Mind".)

Rex, I am interested in the Base Primary XML Schema, in this context;
because the name seems to be proper.  What we need is a small set of base
primary schema that gets filled in (somewhat similar to Schank's Frames with
a fixed number of slots (affordances) and each slot having a finite and open
set of values (fillers).  In this way the Schema becomes a constraint on the
formation of, and element in, an ontology.

What is wrong with using schema in this way?  The answer, is that the
industry practice is to use schema to designate documents (end products),
and here we suggest that the schema is a template related to a behavioral
expression (by a human).  (Again, am I wrong here in some way?)

My offering on this issues is at:

http://www.ontologystream.com/cA/papers/cA-SPS.htm

this is just completed and addresses the topic maps standards community and
the Human mark up standards community.

_Dr. Paul Prueitt
OntologyStream Inc