Subject: [topicmaps-comment] Detecting Events in Computational Space

Richard,

Please look at the following paper, and make comments.

http://www.ontologystream.com/cA/papers/cA-SPS.htm

I feel that you should be impressed with the notion that this work addresses the perceptional act, and gives a synthetic knowledge system an ability to act and see the response in real time in the real world.   NIMA and others should fund this soon, as it is an orginal and full new approach to better National intelligence about THINGS THAT ARE REALLY IMPORTANT.

I could extend this paper so that stratified theory is more in the fore front; but I realize that stratified theory has to be proven by building product... no philosophical debate will win against a reductionist mainstream (as was shown in the KMCI debate.) And the best way to extend this work is to simply read Karl Pribram's 1991 Brain and Perception.

Pribram, K.H. (1971). Languages of the Brain, experimental paradoxes and principles in neuropsychology. New York: Wadsworth.

Pribram, K. H. (1991). Brain and Perception: Holonomy and Structure in Figural Processing. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.

Pribram, K. (Ed). (1993). Rethinking Neural Networks: Quantum Fields and Biological Data. Hillsdale, NJ, ERA

Pribram, K. (Ed). (1994). Origins: Brain & Self Organization . Hillsdale, NJ,

Pribram, K. & King, J. (Eds) (1996). Learning as Self-Organization. Mahwah, NJ, ERA

Pribram, Karl (1993) (Ed) Rethinking Neural Networks: Quantum Fields and Biological Data, Hillsdale, NJ, LEA

Pribram, Karl (1994) (Ed). Origins: Brain & Self Organization. Hillsdale, NJ, LEA

Here you will see that the notion of a convolution of a frame over data sources is in his appendix.  The convolution integrates the invariance of reponse in the metabolic substrate of the brain regions, resulting in a phase coherence that is then mediated by frontal lobe inhibition.  (See my early work on this:

Levine, D. & Prueitt, P.S. (1989.) Modeling Some Effects of Frontal Lobe Damage - Novelty and Preservation, Neural Networks, 2, 103-116.

Levine D; Parks, R.; & Prueitt, P. S. (1993.) Methodological and Theoretical Issues in Neural Network Models of Frontal Cognitive Functions. International Journal of Neuroscience 72 209-233.

This is now seen as being simple.  My Russian friend Juri Kropotov has this "architecture" in algorithms since 1997, as have many hundreds of others - mostly from the Former Soviet Union.  The architecture is stratified, as seen by the two forms of a sum.  2+2  and 4 are the two levels.  Note that 4 = 1+3 is not correct in this sense, as the "cause" of 4 is 2 and a 2 added together.  This meaning of the substructure is lost as the new meaning of the whole is formed.  (Damn it, I hope someone is following this !!! )   The fact the 2 + 2 = 4 = 1+ 3 is an indication of the types of mistakes that can be made in stratified semiotics if one is not willing look beyond the types of formalism that created arthimetic.  The cause of 4 is lost, in exactly the same way as the cause of an image is lost if one uses an ontology with only first order predicate logics.  (We claim.)

For more on this stratified arithmetic see:

Finn, Victor (1991). Plausible Inferences and Reliable Reasoning. Journal of Soviet Mathematics, Plenum Publ. Cor. Vol. 56, N1 pp. 2201-2248

Finn, Victor (1995). JSM-reasoning for control in open (+/-) worlds, in J. Albus, A. Meystel, D. Pospelov, and T Reader, (Eds), Architectures for Semiotic Modeling and Situational Analysis in Large Complex Systems, AdRem, Bala Cynwyd, PA

Finn, Victor (1996a). Plausible Reasoning of JSM-type for Open Domains. In the proceedings of the Workshop on Control Mechanisms for Complex Systems: Issues of Measurement and Semiotic Analysis: 8-12 Dec. 1996

Finn, Victor (1996b) Basic concepts of Quasi Axiomatic Theory, presented at the QAT Teleconference, New Mexico State University and the Army Research Office, December 13, 1996.

and

http://www.ontologystream.com/IRRTest/Evaluation/ARLReport.htm

(In physics and chemistry, one does not often have two ways of producing the same non-organic compound.  However, in biology we often have catolytic micro-environments that will compose **functionally** equivelent organic compounds.)   Natural language has this same **complex** feature, when one thing can have "response degeneracy" (I use here Gerald Edelman's term).

Edelman, G. M. (1987). Neural Darwinism. New York: Basic Books.

Peter Kugler's work on the Rosen diagrams is able to formally define "complexity" with a Rosen type diagram having this property.  (Rosen himself may have never made this definition explicit.)

Kugler's expertise is modeling "perceptual system" and the logic interfaces; over the years his work has involved the development of real-time modeling interfaces--in the form of complete simulation environments. Over the past two years this work has been consolidated into some very elegant design principles for perceptual systems that directly address problems of observability and measurement in living systems. This work goes well beyond most notions of perception and memory and is completely grounded in demonstration experiments, a modeling paradigm, and a metric for semantic content.

Kugler , P.N. & Turvey, M.T. (1987.) Information, natural law, and the self-assembly of rhythmic movements. Hillsdale, NJ: LEA.

Kugler, P.N., Shaw, R.E., Vincente, K.J. and Kinsella-Shaw, J. (1990). Inquiry into intentional systems I: Issues in ecological physics. Psychological Research, 52: 98- 121.

As part of the development of product, the paper describes how a cognitive graph type system will serve as a repository of vetted knowledge artifacts derived from invariance detecting convolutions.  Shallow Link Analysis involves a frame with four slots,  filled by having two records (of two columns of data) where one of the column values  is repeated.

http://www.ontologystream.com/cA/tutorials/FLC.htm

Mary knows John, Mary knows Jim, maybe Jim and John know each other.  The convolution occurs as this frame is tested over each pair of records.  The combinatorics involved is by-passed using I-RIBs.

http://www.ontologystream.com/cA/papers/TheRootKOS.htm

This work has now been generalized to any frame with slots and fillers (May 2002, Prueitt).

When the convolution of the frame finds a pattern, the elements of the pattern are encoded into a special tree structure (invented by Don Mitchell), if the pattern has been found before a reference pointer is made.  So one has a tree where the leaves are each representing a pattern and a link list that encodes (using a single small pointer) all occurance of this pattern.  Even the "first" occurance is encoded.  We actually have a novel event detection capability right out of the box. (with no learning regime required).  There is no boot-strap - and the system builds its own ontology without human intervention. (We showed this with the notion of relative primes and the fundamental theorems of SLIP technology. Of course, this went over the heads of the less informed individuals in Industry - but it is quite simple and can be demonstrated within an hour given any new data set.)

The use of this architecture in COBOL software rehosting is being contemplated by Don and I and Goren Osterman.

http://www.ontologystream.com/OSIConsulting/TheDeploymentTeam2.htm

My new work has generalized the shallow link analysis that I showed to Industry last year.

http://www.ontologystream.com/cA/papers/slipstream_files/frame.htm

The general algorithm will be put into the Knowledge Operating System as a measurement device so that a human can in real time act to change how the data stream is being seen.  This vision of a synthetic perception system was assisted by Nathan Einwechter, Dean Rich, Jimmy Alderson, Martin Dion, Nan Gelhard, Cameron Jones, Don Mitchell, Don Tobin and Scott Wimer.

(I know that this architecture might seem difficult to understand at first, but this is following Pribram's architecture for the human perceptional system, and fullfills my interest in seeing a perceptional measurement system that looks into the data stream.)

My sense is that NIMA will have a number of Cognitive Graph systems to choose from and that if I am to win this competition then I must work with whomever they have choosen for the knowledge bases.

However, I am now just beginning to work on a NIST ATP proposal (Gate 1) that needs to be addressed by June 10.  We all need to have funding to bind together the work of the group.. it just can not be done intellectually only.  The NIST proposal will be a consortium of groups that become bound together by the project.  We need 50% funding from the capitalization of OSI (using 25% of our initial stock), and from revenues generated by the BCNGroup and OSI.

I have a number of innovations that I am trying to integrate into the "New Computer Science", but in many cases the various integration works are encumbered by non-disclosure agreements.  It is good that you, at least, are being open enough so that others see what the H--- you are talking about - in the detail.

The group in cA is a good group, and others can join if they ask permission:

beadmaster@ontologystream.com

***

A note to the group.  I have made all necessary arrangements to begin the planned $500,000 capitalization program (25,000 shares) by August 1st, 2002.  We are looking for a firm to handle this capitalization.

http://www.ontologystream.com/OSIConsulting/OSICapitalizationPlan.htm

This is a simple and legitimate first step in establishing OSI as a Corporation with employees and profits.

We are held by Rule 504 to investors that have incomes of more than 200K per year, unless a detailed business plan is produced and a set of accounting procedures are put in place.  At this point we will be able to sell a share of stock for 20 dollars.

Meanwhile, those who wish to join the work may become a member of the BCNGroup:

http://www.bcngroup.org

***

Commerically, it is not acceptable to me to have a knowledge base that is not the Mark 3.  For the government funding proposals we are going to work on standard APIs between the KOS string processor and knowledge bases.  This means an XML and Topic Maps team will be hired.