Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] Re: on the Manhattan project for the KnowledgeSciences

Hi Rex

I do not have the time to do the work either by the 10th, as you said hope
somebody in the group can do it.

I hope not to inject a note of pessimism in the goal of our works but as
Paul Prueitt points out it really isnt the snazzy technology that ultimately
protects North America, detects problems and anomalies, its PEOPLE who push
buttons that cause machinery to execute instructions , such as launch. With
current systems and or Paul's systems in place we are all still at the mercy
of the military/governmental establishment.

If these advanced systems provide warnings and detections that are then
consequently sloughed off by one or more humans in the command structure
then even a truely omniscient system such as "DeepThought" would be only of
passing help to us citizens who rely on the establishment to protect our
persons and property.

In Cybernetic terms we need to not only adress dramatically the "skill
level" (lack of it?) in conventional IT and AI (GOFAI), but we also must
address the (interfering) factors of human factors. IT and GOFAI designs
tend to ignore or eliminate design aspects of what impact is has having
HUMANS in the loop. Cybernetic designs INCLUDED them, and so were more
complete and wholistic. BTW, IT comes from automating bookeeping and sending
goods or transactions through some conduit, delivery system etc.

Bankers and businessmen, the buyers of IT, dont want any deviation from
rather simplistic repeated actions, like ledger keeping or shipping records
etc. Its money! we're dealing with here after all..  ;)

Looking to IT type solutions for any kind of intelligent or adaptive
operation is a non-sequitor and a nonstarter.

In philosophical circles (What Computers Still Cant Do, which was published
back in the days when steam powered computers :) ) it has been known for
YEARS and years that there are philosphically detectable problems with
rule-based systems (ie Expert Systems), and also, I have personally worked
with neural net software enough to know the many pitfalls of that area.
(hint,"nobody is home" in ANNs)

Still, as PPrueitt also said, because the systems which protect us are
ultimately SOCIAL systems populated by humans (people), who have a great
deal of power ("discretion") to operate (or not) defensive / offensive
weaponry at our behest, the *systems analysis* of what needs to be done must
also be cognizant of the "imperfections" (power tripping, thick headedness,
need to "control",etc) of the military and government personnel "manning"
these systems.

Those of us, including myself, who have done computer based modelling of
human/social systems are already aware that it is "the human factor", the
imperfections and weaselness of some humans in a human-vetted system that
make such a system vulnerable and exposed. (of course a system built with
any of today's technology that controlled weaponry but had no vetting by
humans in the loop would have us all glowing in the dark wthin a few months
of the power switch going on.)
When the very powerful radars of the DEW line were first turned on a
squadron of fighters was sent out to shoot down the moon. Nowadays we have
nuclear cruise missiles and there ARE pilotless aircarft NOW in the skies,
computers run them, they are not flown directly by humans. fortunately a
human or two sits and watches some panels and guages to "oversee" what these
computer controlled planes are doing.

has anybody seen "Terminator"?

I think that human markup group has a postive part to play in all of this ,
my own HML research shows that HML DAML can be used in conjunction with
Lakoff-deBono active diagrams to effect some 'understanding' (in a
"computer") of social behaviours. It looks promising. This sort of thing can
be used to do modelling of the human aspects of human/machine systems such
as our defense system.

David Dodds

David Dodds