Subject: [topicmaps-comment] RE: [topicmapmail] XML Schema for XTM DTD

OASIS has no TM committees that deal with the interchange format of TMs or
the definition of what it means to be a TM. That's all in ISO/IEC
JTC1/SC34's territory.

Since TM software doesn't care how TMs were created (that's on the other
side of the interchange process), it shouldn't matter whether a TM editor
used a schema or a DTD to validate. But if any current software does
validate its input, it's going to validate against a DTD since that's how
the interchange format is officially defined.

At this point, the only test of a schema would have to be whether something
that it thinks is valid is also recognized as valid by the DTD.

But remember that having a valid XML file is not the same thing as having a
meaningful TM. I can generate all sorts of things that XMetaL tells me are
valid XTM files but which mean absolutely nothing to a TM browser (as I know
from copious idiotic experience).

Jim Mason

-----Original Message-----
From: Bandholtz, Thomas [mailto:TBandholtz@koeln.sema.slb.com]
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 11:55 AM
To: topicmapmail@infoloom.com; topicmaps-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [topicmapmail] XML Schema for XTM DTD

Couldn't the OASIS TM community *recommend* an XSD version?
There are many use cases when a schema is necessary today - do we like this
or not.
We should not wait until all the "rest of the standard settles out".

I think Max Voskob has posted a valuable draft yesterday. It looks quite
reasonable as a schema.
But I am not the XTM expert. Did anyone test it with a given XTM?

Thomas Bandholtz
Manager KM Applications

SchlumbergerSema GmbH
Kaltenbornweg 3