Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] XML Schema for XTM DTD

** Reply to message from Max Voskob <mvoskob@msi.com.au> on Mon, 03 Feb 2003
19:04:03 +1300

Dear Max,

> Could anyone prove that I'm wrong in my supposition that XTM cannot be
> legitimately extended thru elements and attributes from other namespaces?
> Lets say that I want to add a couple more attributes from another namespace
> to instanceOf element. I can't see any way how it can be done at the moment.

From recent discussions, the position seems to be that when you add non-XTM
elements/attributes to an XTM document, it is no longer an XTM document, just
an XML document.  The suggested approach is to treat that document as a source
from which a pure XTM document is generated.  The generated XTM document would
contain occurrences pointing back to the "extra" content in the source document.

Doing it in this way makes it compatible with generic Topic Map engines.

	Cheers,
		Tony.
====
Anthony B. Coates, Information & Software Architect
mailto:abcoates@TheOffice.net
Reuters Messaging: abcoates.londonmarketsystems.com@reuters.net
====
MDDL Editor (Market Data Definition Language), http://www.mddl.org/