tosca-comment message

Subject: RE: [tosca-comment] Attribute and Element definitions - editorial

Patrick,

My apologies for the delay. I have not been well (combined with weeks of travel, a bad combination). That said; as you can see from the resolution log and given the current TC process, the TC has decided to tackle most of the issues that you kindly identified through an errata to v1.0, and then consider taking the improvements further in the v1.1 version, which is already in development. Please feel free to drop me a line directly, if you wish to discuss further and have a nice weekend.

https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=50914&wg_abbrev=tosca

Thanks,
Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Durusau [mailto:patrick@durusau.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 11:52 AM
To: Lipton, Paul C; tosca-comment@lists.oasis-open.org; tab@lists.oasis-open.org

Paul,

My pleasure.

Can you point me to the resolution log when it becomes available?

The TAB is tracking the disposition of comments in its JIRA instance.
I will be recording those dispositions there so the TAB can run stats across TCs, etc.

Thanks!

Hope you are having a great week!

Patrick

On 10/08/2013 05:04 PM, Lipton, Paul C wrote:
> Hello Patrick,
>
> The TOSCA TC acknowledges all comments that you have posted to date in
> our comment email list, and thanks you for bringing them to our
> attention.
>
> Regards, Paul Lipton TOSCA TC Co-Chair
>

> -----Original Message----- From: tosca-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
> [mailto:tosca-comment@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Patrick
> Durusau Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 10:59 AM To:
> tosca-comment@lists.oasis-open.org; tab@lists.oasis-open.org
> Subject: [tosca-comment] Attribute and Element definitions - editorial
>
> Greetings!
>
> Strictly an editorial issue but I noticed that the text repeats
> definitions, for attributes in particular.
>
> One example would be "tags," which reads in part:
>
> ***** Tags: This OPTIONAL element allows the definition of any number
> of tags which can be used by the author to describe the Service
> Template. Each tag is defined by a separate, nested Tag element.....
> *****
>
> Which can be found starting at lines:
>
> 755
>
> 1417
>
> 1672
>
> 1917
>
> 2100
>
> 2299
>
> 2409
>
> 2524
>
> 2764
>
> Thinking that if all the repeated attribute and element definitions
> were consolidated, the reader would know all the information for that
> attribute or element on a single reading. They would not need to worry
> about finding it elsewhere, differently.
>
> In cases where an element or attribute does have to vary, that
> difference is highlighted by the fact it appears with the additional
> information, which makes its difference more noticeable.
>
> It is perfectly possible to repeat definitions without variation but
> when we consolidated all the element/attribute definitions in ODF 1.1
> to ODF 1.2, we discovered there were substantive differences in
> wording spread over > 700 pages for some attributes.
> Not a pleasant discovery.
>
> Not to mention that it makes revision and maintenance nearly
> impossible when subtle changes can have impacts in unnoticed parts of
> a standard.
>
> I haven't tried to enumerate all the duplicate definitions. I have
> forwarded concordances of the text to Paul Lipton that may assist in
> that task.
>
> Hope everyone is having a great day!
>
> Patrick
>
> -- This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
> OASIS Topology and Orchestration Specification for Cloud Applications
> (TOSCA) TC.
>
> In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and to
> minimize spam in the list archive, subscription is required before
> posting.
>
> Subscribe: tosca-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org
> [...]

- --
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net
Technical Advisory Board, OASIS (TAB)
Former Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34 Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps) Editor, OpenDocument Format TC (OASIS), Project Editor ISO/IEC 26300 Co-Editor, ISO/IEC 13250-1, 13250-5 (Topic Maps)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau