tosca-comment message

Subject: Re: [tosca-comment] TOSCA Scale definition

Hi Manas,

Policies are considered "dangling" Requirements, which can be attached to various parts of a topology (model) such as a single Node, Group of Nodes, or the entire topology.

In the case of Scaling (and it is not perfect), the goal was to have each "Compute container" express that they had the Capability to be horizontally scaled and therefore could accept a Scaling policy (as a Requirement).

This relationship between Policy (a dangling Req.) and a Capability has not been formally described in the spec. as Policies will impact our goal of a "closed loop" system that can be Monitored (with Events) which can activate (Trigger) policies' clauses (based on Rules).  This closed-loop system requires coordination with the Instance and Monitoring WG ad-hocs and will (in my hopes) be better flushed out by end of this year.  In OpenStack, Senlin would have been the Policy engine, working with Ceilometer (or Monasca) to monitor the state of the instances and Trigger scaling based upon the Container (Compute node) type (e.g., Nova for VMs, Kubernetes for Docker Containers, etc.).

Please bear in mind that Polices (being "dangling" Requirements) do not necessarily need to have a corresponding Capability; that is, the Orchestrator can work with the Provider (providing Cloud platform) to assure that they are "fulfilled" (somehow) at deployment time and adhered to during the application's running life-span.

Additionally, I repeatedly comment, that in "Cloud" systems scaling (placement, failover, etc.) happen automatically with guidance from the policies; there should be little or no imperative "actions" (or workflows) that try to manage this externally since the Provider Cloud's monitoring and platform can react (and take corrective action) faster than any external mechanism (which would actually "get in the way").

Kind regards,
Matt Rutkowski

STSM, Master Inventor, IBM Open Cloud Technologies and Standards
Apache OpenWhisk Incubator Project Lead, Initial Committer
Chair, Lead Editor OASIS TOSCA Simple Profile WG,
Co-Chair OASIS TOSCA Interop. SC,
Founder of DMTF Cloud Audit (CADF) Standard
mrutkows@us.ibm.com,  mobile: 512-431-5002

From:        Manas Mal <MMal@advaoptical.com>
To:        "paul.lipton@ca.com" <paul.lipton@ca.com>, "sramasw@Brocade.com" <sramasw@Brocade.com>, "tosca-comment@lists.oasis-open.org" <tosca-comment@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date:        06/15/2017 02:32 AM
Subject:        [tosca-comment] TOSCA Scale definition
Sent by:        <tosca-comment@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hello All,

The TOSCA scale definition as per the auto-scale policy is as follows:

12.5.2.1.3 Sample YAML
my_scaling_policy_1:
type: tosca.policy.scaling
properties:
min_instances: <integer>
max_instances: <integer>
default_instances: <integer>
increment: <integer>

However we have the scalable capability definition of the VDU.
5.5.13 tosca.capabilities.Scalable
5.5.13.2 Definition
tosca.capabilities.Scalable:
derived_from: tosca.capabilities.Root
properties:
min_instances:
type: integer
default: 1
max_instances:
type: integer
default: 1
default_instances:
type: integer

So there is a confusion as to which one should be used for auto-scale definition for a VDU?
Please clarify the same.

Regards,
Manas